Friday 9 June 2017

Year 6's political predictions

On Wednesday, Year 6 learnt all about the General Election. We looked at each party's manifesto and discussed its merits as well as its faults. The pupils asked pertinent questions and raised interesting points. When looking through Labour's manifesto and the amount of money promised to education and the police Grace asked "Where are they going to get this money from?". Daisy was concerned that the Green Party had promised a reduction of air pollution by 2032. She commented "If another party was then elected in the next election, how can they guarantee that this will happen?" I was really impressed with the comments that they made.

After looking at each manifesto, we then held our own General Election. They had to vote for who they thought would be best for the country.




The results were:
Labour = 28 votes
Green Party = 16 votes
Liberal Democrates = 7 votes
SNP = 5 votes
Conservatives = 3 votes

Which means that although Labour won more votes, there were more votes against that party so it was a 'Hung Parliament'. How spookily true their prediction was!!!

The pupils were also asked the question 'If I were Prime Minister...' They had to think of their own manifestos. They thought really carefully about it and came up with some great ideas.


Regan's manifesto: If I were Prime Minister I would make the police force better and make 10,000 new police officers and they would get paid more.

Ashlea's manifesto: If I were Prime Minister I would make sure that men and women would get equal rights. Also I would give more money to the NHS and reduce waiting time in hospitals. I would also give more money to the police force.

Mason's manifesto: If I were Prime Minister I would help nature by taking down unimportant things and replace them with greenery.

Emily's manifesto: If I were Prime Minister I would give more money to our National health System and social services. I would give it to the NHS so that we have more beds and more doctors and nurses. Plus money for research into illnesses. I would give money to the social services so that they have money to help the homeless, the elderly and people with disabilities.

Maybe our MP's should listen to our children and take on board their ideas!