Friday 29 December 2017

Confident Riders

Before our pupils can access the Bikeability course in Year 5 they have to be confident with handling their bike. To ensure these skills are in place our cycling curriculum takes pupils from Cycling Awareness Days - where they practice balancing on their scooters and stabilisers - to Ditch the Stabilisers and then Learn to Ride sessions.

In this session the pupils learnt to develop their:

  • ability to ride at speed and then stop suddenly
  • confidence at riding slowly and navigating obstacles
  • signalling while moving
  • adeptness with controlling brakes and gears
I feel so much more confident. Before I would wobble and fall off if I went slowly. Now I stay on my bike.
Shelby

We look forward to seeing this latest batch of confident riders at our Bikeability sessions in the near future.