Sunday 1 April 2018

Nat West Careers Talk

We were delighted to welcome two representative from NatWest & RBS who donated a day of their time to give money and careers advice to our KS2 pupils.

When surveyed prior to the event 86% of boys stated that they wished to be a professional footballer then they grew up. When asked why 90% stated that the salary was a significant factor in their choice.

One of the key components of the talk was for pupils to investigate different careers and some key facts about them:

  • qualifications required
  • average starting salary
  • salary after 5 years
  • typical hours worked 
Pupils were surprised to find that the average footballer's wage in Britain is only marginally over £27,000. Pupils then had to complete a salary exercise where they calculated their monthly wage and then had to make choices about mortgages, bills, meals, clothes and mobile phones.

I couldn't believe it. I had no money left. Once I worked out the car, phone and house that I want I realised my salary wasn't enough. 
Ryan - Year 5

Pupils were also shocked to find out how much interest can be charged on simple items. 

Some lenders were charging over 200% interest! That made what I wanted to buy so expensive. I was paying more interest than the iPad actually cost.
Danielle - Year 3

Following the workshop with our KS2 classes the pupils were surveyed again to measure the impact:
  • Footballer now came bottom of the list of desired careers after: company director, lawyer, architect, doctor, teacher and pilot.
  • 92% of pupils strongly agreed that they would avoid borrowing money to pay for everyday items
  • 73% strongly agreed that they were now more likely to consider further education to ensure they had the right qualifications
Resilience
I didn't realise how long it could take to get qualified for some of the best jobs. I'd like to be a lawyer, but you have to get GCSEs, A Levels, go to University and then law school. That would mean I'd be at least 23 before I was qualified. That means I'll really have to persevere with school.
Stefan - Year 6

Click here for the NatWest Money Sense website