Thursday 19 July 2018

Y5 Circus Skills

Our Year 5 pupils had a very fun and challenging day as they tried out their circus skills. This was a workshop designed to test their 4Rs: resilience, reciprocity, reflectiveness and resourcefulness.

Resilience
The plate spinning was hard to get the hang of. Balance the plate, lightly rotate the stick and then build up speed...

I had to try really hard to get it right. It kept falling off. First I had to watch the Circus man again before he came to help me. Once I got it I was very proud... I didn't give up!
Biddy

Reciprocity
A number of the activities required the children to work in pairs and groups. The children very quickly realised that if they didn't help each other they wouldn't have the success that they wanted.

The balance wheels were hard. Without help from my friends I would definitely have fallen over. By holding me up I was able to get the hang of it.
Abdullah

Pupils also had the chance to apply their reflective skills, watching the performance of others and giving them tips on how to improve. This was particularly true with the juggling!

Did you know that circus skills have physical benefits too? Skills such as diabolo, plate spinning and juggling with scarves, beanbags or balls improve hand-eye co-ordination, concentration, manipulation, throwing and catching skills and encompassing both fine and gross motor control.