Thursday 12 April 2018

Jeremy Strong Author Visit

As part of the ongoing development of our 'Culture of Reading' we were delighted to welcome children's author Jeremy Strong to Mead this term. This was a fantastic chance for our pupils to find out:
  • how characters come to life and where an author gets their ideas from
  • what process is behind getting a book published
  • what made Jeremy decide to choose to be an author
  • some top tips to improve their writing
Once the workshops were finished our Spinebreakers had the chance to interview Jeremy about his life.

I loved meeting Jeremy. His stories are so funny. I thought you had to be special to be an author, but he seemed very normal... I think I could have a go if I practice like him.
Jessica - Year 4

Our two Reading Champions - Miss Horsham & Miss Howe - completed a survey after the first. The outcomes were very positive:
  • 85% of pupils said they would now want to read a Jeremy Strong book
  • 100% of pupils said that the workshops had made them more likely to borrow a book
  • 38% said that they had never met an author before
How old are you?
1949 – that’s when I was born. Yes, I know that makes it last century and it means I am incredibly old and ancient. Believe it or not I still have my own teeth, not falsies. And some of my original hair too. I’ve also got all my own legs and arms and things so, hey, Life’s not too bad, is it?

What do you remember most about your childhood?
Accidents! When I was three I fell out of a first floor bedroom window and landed on my head. Yes, of course it hurt! I had a ginormous headache, a broken right arm and I spent a week in hospital. I think I was a bit accident-prone as a child. I broke various bones and had stitches here, there and just about everywhere. This was because I spent most of my time out in the fields near our house playing. The ‘stitches score’ went something like this:

Riding a bike at a thousand miles an hour – five stitches.

Falling out of tall trees – four stitches.

Playing kiss-chase – three stitches.


Can you remember which bits you liked most about school?
At primary school I enjoyed playtime, lunchtime, and half past three. I hatedCountry Dancing, which meant prancing up and down holding hands with girls. Aaaargh! (I don’t suppose the girls liked it either.) After that I went to a grammar school and that wasn’t nearly such fun.

When did you know you wanted to be an author?
I have always loved making things up and writing stories. I spent most of my teenage years writing poems for my girlfriend, until she gave in and married me. 

Have you always been a writer?
I did get my first book published in 1978, (Smith’s Tail). But for several years while I wrote stories I also taught in primary schools in Kent. I loved doing that, well, most of the time anyhow! I was teaching during term time and writing stories and getting them published during the holidays. Nowadays I quite often meet children I used to teach, except that they are now grown up and parents themselves and they are bringing their children to get their book signed!