Tuesday 21 February 2017

More Able Poetry Day

Learning Federation pupils from both Mead & Broadford Primary had the opportunity to work with acclaimed poet Jacob Sam La Rose. In a full day of workshops the pupils were able to use their time with Jacob to write, edit and perform their own poems.

I didn't think that I could write poetry. Jacob helped me to explore my thoughts by using questions and answers about what made me. Before I knew I had written my own poem!
Jessica Rose - aged 10 

First the pupils - in mixed school groups - performed a range of vocal warm up games to get them ready for performance.

It is vital that our pupils are confident at presenting themselves when going for interviews in the future. We invest in them through LAMDA classes, opportunities to present their ideas and inspirational days and events with poets, authors and musicians. Their better understanding of poise, pronunciation and performance will help them in all aspects of education and life.
Mr Malcolm Drakes - Executive Headteacher

Jacob Sam La Rose - who lives in London - was shortlisted for both a Forward Poetry prize and the Aldeburgh Fenton award, and his poems have been chosen as a set text for the OCR English Language and Literature A Level (EMC). He is widely recognised as a mentor and supporter of young and emerging poets.