Friday 18 December 2020

Weekly Newsletter - 18/1/2020



Weekly Newsletter

18th December 2020

Dear Parents,

It is with a heavy heart that I write, what will be my last newsletter, to our Mead families. I came to Mead just over 17 years ago as a supply teacher and during the ensuing years progressed from class teacher, to year group leader, to Deputy head teacher and then to my current role as headteacher. During that time I have seen a lot of children come and go, in fact some have even come back-bringing their children to Mead!!

I feel very privileged to have worked with such dedicated staff over the years and to have been so warmly welcomed into what I have found to be a very close, supportive, caring community and I shall certainly miss you all.

But most of all I shall miss your wonderful children-they are the heart of Mead and their cheery smiles and warm greeting on the gate in the mornings have made that 5:30 early morning alarm call so worthwhile.

I am sad that the current Covid situation has prevented me from saying my goodbyes personally but I want to thank each and everyone of you personally for all of your support-I leave you in the very capable hands of Mr. Denchfield who I’m sure will receive a very warm Harold Hill welcome. Please take care and have the best possible time you can have, in these difficult times, over Christmas and the New Year. I shall certainly miss you all.


I am not the only person leaving this term. Sadly the Mead community has to say goodbye to Miss I’Anson who is moving back to Yorkshire to be near her family-I am sure you will want to join me in extending our very best wishes to her for the future.
I ‘m sure Mrs Wagner, who will be joining us to take Jamaica class, will get a warm Mead welcome in January.


Unfortunately, not every year group was able to record their Christmas performances but I hope you have managed to see the recordings that we were able to make. I was fortunate enough to see some of them live and I must say we have some really talented children here at Mead. I hope those children who were unable to take part in the performances in school were able to share with you some of their songs at home.


IMPORTANT

We are responsible for advising parents and staff of any new positive coronavirus test results (for pupils) up to and including 23rd December- We sincerely hope this won’t be necessary but would urge parents to please advise school via the following e-mail of any positive cases detected up to this date please.

mail@mead.havering.sch.uk


School will be completely closed this afternoon

Please ensure ALL children (including those who would normally remain in school on Friday afternoons) are collected at the following times:

Reception-12:30 from Gate 3

Year 1-12:45-from Gate 3

Year 2 -12:45 from KS2 playground

Years 3&4 -12:55 from KS2 playground

Years 5&6-13:05 from KS2 playground

Nursery- Afternoon children can come in for the morning session


Havering Catering Services

Week beginning Monday 4th January is week 2 on the Havering catering services menu. All meals are served with unlimited salad and vegetables and cost £2.25. The menu can be accessed here (it says infant school but is the menu for both infants and juniors).

Please be reminded to top up your child’s catering account as we cannot provide dinners for pupils whose accounts exceed a debt of £10.


Diary Dates
Term Dates 2020-21



Spring Term
Monday 4th January - Friday 12th February
Monday 22nd February - Thursday 1st April


Summer Term
Monday 19th April - Friday 28th May
Monday 7th June - Friday 23rd July

INSET Days 2020-2021


INSET 1

INSET 2

INSET 3

Thursday 3rd September 

Friday 4th  September  

Monday 22nd February


INSET 4

INSET 5 

Friday 28th May

Friday 23rd July



Diary Dates

First day back after the Christmas break is Monday January 4th-Hopefully everyone will be back and school can get back to some sort of normality.
Please be aware that Year 4 swimming starts 4th January- The first day back after the Christmas break

Attendance Update
Our attendance so far this academic year is 95.5%, which is just below our 96% target. Fortunately we are not penalised for pupils who are absent for Covid related reasons. Let’s hope we can reach our target with improved attendance next term.

We are not awarding certificates this week (as half of the pupils are not in school) but want to acknowledge all the pupils who are working hard both in school and at home- I sincerely hope things improve in the Spring term and there is less disruption to

On a personal note and on behalf of everyone in school I want to thank you for your kind words, cards and presents.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs L Smith

Headteacher